By Amy Treasure
If you’re not familiar with a “Body Detox” – it can be a confusing. So, what exactly is a detox?
A body detox can help you in so many ways, even ways that you haven’t considered yet. Doing a detox can make you feel a lot better both mentally and physically and can also help you get rid of bad habits. You might detox by drinking more water, drinking more juice, or by simply choosing to eat clean.
Since the start of January, I’ve been drinking a juice every single morning and eating as cleanly as I possibly can, and I’m starting to see the benefits already. I’ve written about juice detoxing here and also have some recipe examples if you’re looking for inspiration. I’ve found that my skin glows, I’m less hungry throughout the day and when I started adding ginger to my juices I finally managed to get over the cold and cough that seems to have been hanging around for ages.
Health benefits of a detox
- Jump-start your diet – If you have problems turning down food that is not good for you, and you’re snacking a lot, a planned detox such as a juice cleanse can jump-start your new diet. It can help you get over cravings and deliver more nutrition to your body to help you become stronger.
- Help prevent disease – Many people who go on a detox plan such as a green juice detox or other similarly strict plan often see marked improvement and a lowering of medication for diseases like type II diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Increase Energy – A good detox can help you get your energy back. This is because you will get rid of bloating, food reactions, and other things that get in the way of a good night sleep, like caffeine or junk food.
- Improve Your Skin – When you let your digestive system rest and drop certain foods from your diet such as dairy, you will improve your skin pretty quickly. Most people see a change in their skin within just a couple of weeks when they restrict their food intake.
- Overcome Addiction – When you have trouble turning down things like wine, chips, salt laden takeaways etc, a detox can help you get control and empower you to overcome those addictions that develop.
It’s clear that if you detox your body, you can improve your life. It’s also super important to learn about the different types of detoxes that you can do. Each detox will help you take care of various problems that you may have.
You don’t always have to do a full-fledged strict detox to reap some of the benefits of a detox.
Here are some simple changes you can make, to help you get results!
- Try a Breakfast Smoothie – Make a smoothie from spinach or kale, bananas, hemp seed, and plant-based milk or yogurt each morning. You’ll get in some of your veggies for the day, and jump-start your metabolism. These are also brilliant for fussy toddlers and I make sure my littlest one has a small smoothie at breakfast time every day – that way I don’t have to worry too much about what she’s not eating.
- Drink Fresh Juice – Make your own cold-pressed juice to drink each day for a snack. You can make juice out of cucumber, orange, and ginger with a little wheat grass for added nutrition. Drinking just six to eight ounces of fresh juice a day can help rebuild good gut bacteria and ward off colds.
- Omit Dairy – If you do just one thing to help detox your body, omit dairy from your diet at least 80 percent of the time. Dairy can cause phlegm in adults, acne in teenagers and adults, as well as lots of stomach issues.
- Drink Water – You may already drink some water each day; you know it’s good for you. But, did you know that other fluids (even fresh, green juice) isn’t a substitute for fresh filtered tap water? You need at least 2 litres of fluids per day. If you still feel thirsty, or even hungry, try drinking a glass of water before doing anything else.
- Shop the Perimeter – Eating food as close to its natural form is important for good health. Shopping the perimeter of the supermarket means you’re going to skip the processed food and go straight for the fresh produce.
- Change Your Plate – Make half your plate vegetables in order to get the most benefits from them. Veggies are low in calories and fat and have more nutrition per serving than any other type of food.
Very small changes made each day can make a big difference in your life. Try making each change, one at a time, for at least 28 days to see what happens as a result of the change.
I honestly believe you will see and feel a massive difference in your body and your mind. Give it a go and see what happens. Tweet me @AmyTreasureBlog to let me know how you’re getting on!